Tuesday, March 18, 2008

ARMENIAN WOMAN HAVING EXPERIENCED GENOCIDE TURNS 100 IN URUGUAY



Noyan Tapan
March 13, 2008

MONTEVIDEO, MARCH 13, NOYAN TAPAN - ARMENIANS TODAY. The International
Women's Day, March 8 was distinguished by a unique event in the
Armenian community of Uruguay: Ovsanna Agirmayan Kakosian turned 100
on that day.

Spiritual leaders, relatives, and friends visited her. An entertainment
was organized in a warm atmosphere, and to the accompaniment of
Armenian music Mother Ovsanna danced with her friends.

Speaking to Diego Karamanukian, the Director of Radio Arax, Mother
Ovsanna said: "I was born in Hachn, when I was seven we became
migrants, I lost my parents in Der Zor, in consequence of it with my
younger brother we were admitted to the AGBU orphanage and learnt
there. Then I married Panos Kakosian. Because of the slaughter we
moved to Kirkuk and Monsul in Iraq, then to Beirut. "My brother told
that when working in the bread factory he saw a dog with a paper
fixed to its neck, which warned them to leave the place quickly,
as a slaughter of Armenians had been planned," Mother Ovsanna told.

Conveying her behest to the youth, the 100-year-old Armenian women,
who has experienced the Armenian Genocide, said: "I wish the new
generations to love the Armenian nation and to keep the Armenian
language."

No comments: